Monday, April 20, 2009

American Idol VIewer's Guide - Disco!




I can’t actually remember whether Idol has done Disco week before, but I know another Fox average-joe-becomes-famous-performer-by-America’s-televoting show that has a Disco week. (Guesses?) I think it’s safe to say that in either show, it is the “Ugh” heard round the world.∗ It feels like an intentional effort to throw a curve-ball at contestants, though I can think of curve-balls that would be much more enjoyable from an audience perspective. Like how about “Songs from the High School Musical Franchise”? This would easily provide the best group song of Idol history:


And this might give Danny the opportunity to show another side, but still display that raw emotion Paula loves:



Or how about “Songs of Social Change”? Every contestant would have to pick a song from anytime in history that had a social message. Right up Fox’s alley! Think about how hard Adam could rock on this song:



This biggest problem with a week like Disco, is that someone like Allison (who is completely amazing), might kind of suck. And now the Idol judges have used their one precious gift of life on Matt, so if someone like Allison gets voted off this week they have no one to blame but themselves. Brutal.


I’m not going to lie, I know next to nothing about Disco. I feel like I’ve learned everything I need to know by watching this video:

(And yes, the chorus of the song at the end is something like, “Trippy, trippy, Moscow, Moscow.”)

In light of that, I’m not going to bother guess what people are going to sing. Instead, I’ve asked my Magic 8 Ball (mine’s a little dusty – I used this one) for some predictions for this week’s show:

(Please note, the results of these questions have not been altered in any way – they were this amazing on their own.)

1. Will Allison get kicked off Idol this week? “My sources say no.”
2. Will the judges regret keeping Matt? “My sources say no.”
3. Do you say anything else besides ‘my sources say no’? “Yes”
4. Will Lil rock out to a big Donna Summers number? “Definitely”
5. Will Kris attempt to make a disco song singer-songwritery by playing his guitar? “Absolutely!”
6. Are the judges going to run over in time AGAIN? “Outlook not so good.”


Well, you heard it here, folks. Set your digital recorders to record 10 min later, cozy up with your pet rock and enjoy the amazing week of Disco fun!

∗Disclaimer: None of the content of this week’s blog entry that references disco music sucking is meant to offend KC of KC and the Sunshine Band, who is all of the following three things:
1. The guest judge this week
2. The co-writer of my favorite song to dance to at a wedding
3. AND the boyfriend of a friend of a member of the Idol Pool!!!!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

please don't mock high school musical.

IPM said...

On the contrary! I think my post this week is a homage to the genius of that show.

Unknown said...

Neither HSM 1, 2, or 3 is a show. They are all magical disney musicals

Anonymous said...

I'm predicting that Kris sings "How Deep is Your Love" (Bee Gees) because he wouldn't have to work as hard to make it singer-songwritery. Plus, I have aweeome memories of slow-dancing to that one and it would please me to no end to hear Kris sing it.

marpo357 said...

This could be UGLY!!!

Derick said...

I think this is Lil's week (to go home), after repeatedly disappointing week after week. Matt might be next, but with Disco I'm thinking Anoop will finally get the boot instead --though he's done very well in recent weeks.

My song predictions appear on the previous post...

Mr. Comments said...

Wow. I have so many comments.

1. Kara - where do you get off praising Danny's pitch when he destroyed his song last week?

2. Simon - now that the save is gone, it's nice to see you back at your old ways completely trashing the people you don't want to go far and over-praising the ones you do. Lil was bad this week, but she was a lot worse last week. But Simon decided to really let Lil have it this week. It's way too obvious that he's trying to get Lil, Matt, and Anoop out ASAP.

3. Maybe it's because I don't have him going far, but I don't get Kris at all. If, like the judges say, that is the kind of sound he wants to release as an artist, I will never listen to him sing a song again. Acoustic guitar and bongos = leave it in the dorm room. And what's that dog tag about, because it was front and center tonight?

4. Finally, I really hope Adam and Allison make it to the finals. With all apologies to Carrie & Bo, it would, without question, be the most talented finale the show has ever had.

I didn't think tonight was Adam's best performance, but talking about showing off your range!!! And despite her questionable wardrobe choices, I think Allison's incredible. I really think she has a great future in front of her. Those two are artists whose songs I would definitely purchase post-Idol, and that's saying a lot for me, Mr. Comments.

With love,
Mr. Comments

PS - the women's underwear jokes have to stop, but Paula's unintentional metaphor that kicked the stupid jokes off was hilarious. You'd think she would have run that one by an assistant before blurting it out on air.

Mrs. One Comment said...

Am I the only one who does NOT think Allison has all that much talent? Don't get me wrong- I think she can squint her eyes and sing 'em gritty as good as it gets, but beyond that- not so sure. I feel like I get the same act from her every week, much more so than other contestants. Maybe I just don't buy what she's selling, but I find her to really just have one speed. I know she can belt out songs, but can she sing more softly and hit notes in more of a range than the songs she chooses? Maybe it doesn't matter?
At this point, can't see buying her record. I guess I need to channel my inner rock-star....

'Lil Joey Comments Jr. said...

Mommy, Daddy stop fighting about Allison on Idol Pool blogs.

Mrs.One More Comment... said...

Ok, someone has been drinking the Adam punch. Was his song shorter than everyone else's, or just me? And can he sing just one song (pretty please) without screaming?
ps- think the judges still feel good about saving Justin Matt Timberlake?

Derick said...

Shira and I were fairly sure in advance that if *anyone* tried to pull off Stayin' Alive (Hi, Matt), they'd be toast.

Lil sounded & looked better than she has in weeks, but still not good enough to survive another week.

I wish I hadn't ranked Danny #1, after hearing him scream his whole song and dance like a chicken again tonight.

Kris impressed me yet again, I have to say. I thought that really worked for him. And he appeared effortless, in stark contrast to how hard Matt & Lil seemed to be working (to no avail).

I could almost enjoy Adam, but he just had to give us his signature wail.

I still love Allison, but I agree the arrangement wasn't the best.

Anoop was pretty forgettable this week.

Corona Claire said...

Adam= Mr. Shrilly McShrillerson

Paula's Rehab Counselor said...

Does anyone else ever hope that Laticka from Slumdog Millionaire will come from stage-left and dance behind Anoop?

Big Brother said...

Why is this blog on Central time???

Eastern Time said...

That's a really good question. I've used my time zone power to change it.

shelly g. said...

lil - your lovely lady lumps fit well into that outfit.
kris - i didn't get it
danny - i am so so over it. in fact, i was never under it.
allison - she can rock out with her...well, you know.
adam - he wails like a school girl. shocking. and why does he look exactly like eddie munster??
matt - you can be my JT anytime.
anoop - what's with the constant sweat on the upper lip? and did anyone catch ryan's rude comment about groucho marx?

are the rumors true about paula leaving idol? could the cosmos really be that rewarding for all we've endured???

Anonymous said...

I'm sort of sick of Idols showing how "original" they are by completely changing the heart and spirit of a song. I was glad that Lil and Matt actually got into the disco groove instead of trying to show how edgy they are by destroying the essence of the song. Yes, disco sucks; but, it's kind of fun to embrace that suckiness every now and then.

steph b. said...

COME ON KRIS!!!!!!! YAY KRIS!!!!

(I'm not saying this because I picked him to win...not at all.)

Stuck at work said...

Wow- cranky crowd this week (Joey). Banter away people, that's what makes the blog fun!

DialIdol Watcher said...

I know some people on this board don't like to know what DialIdol has to say. For those of you who do, you should really check it out.

Anonymous said...

I thought this was disco week, not racial cleansing week.

Derick said...

Lil might have cost me another 34 (max) pts, if my calculations are correct, but it was definitely time to let her go.

And I'm certainly glad Anoop hit the road instead of Allison! Yikes.

The Top 5 are a pretty talented bunch, but I still think Matt's most likely to go next.